MPs welcome reversal of County Council's stance on second runway at Gatwick

Arundel & South Downs MP Nick Herbert and Mid Sussex MP Sir Nicholas Soames have welcomed the vote by West Sussex County councillors yesterday (Monday 19 January) to oppose a second runway at Gatwick. 

 

Both MPs had written to county councillors last week to urge that they reversed the County Council's support for the expansion, warning that a second runway would be immensely damaging to the county.

Speaking after the vote, Mr Herbert said: "The County Council's previous position was untenable and out of touch with local communities who are increasingly concerned about what a second runway would mean for aircraft noise and development. I am glad that councillors have reversed the Council's stance.

He added: "I was however bemused by the Council's claim that its position opposing expansion does not form part of their response to the consultation. The Council should be relaying its decision and reasons in the clearest terms to the Airports Commission and the Government, and I hope that councillors will insist on this. The decision must not be swept under the carpet."

Sir Nicholas Soames said: "I welcome this decision. It was a serious mistake of the County Council to throw its weight behind the proposal without having a clear idea about what was involved. This is not and never has been a right place for a second runway which would have a malign impact on the local environment and infrastructure." 

                                                                                   ENDS

Notes

1. To read Nick's news release of 13 January 2015 'MP urges county councillors to reject Gatwick second runway' please see http://www.nickherbert.com/news.php/583/mp-urges-county-councillors-to-reject-gatwick-second-runway.

Michelle TaylorGatwick